North Shore InnoVentures is a 501(c) 3, not-for-profit business incubator that helps early stage cleantech and biotech companies get started. NSIV has worked with over 70 companies since starting operations in 2009. Together those start-ups have raised over $750 million in equity and awards, created over 500 high-value, sustainable jobs and trained over 250 interns. Several graduates have had exits worth over $50 million and one competed an IPO at a valuation of over $3 billion. In 2018, NSIV was named “Incubator of the Year” by InBIA. To see more details about NSIV: http://nsiv.org/
DESCRIPTION OF OPPORTUNITY
After more than 10 years of leadership in this role, our current VP and COO will be transitioning into a Board, EIR and mentorship role as he continues to engage with the NSIV community. This provides a unique opportunity for a new COO/CFO to join NSIV and work closely with our CEO to help lead NSIV through the next chapter of growth. We are looking for an entrepreneurial collaborative finance and operations professional who is excited to work in a fast-paced innovative environment. The individual hired will support the growth of NSIV as well as the innovative technology, life sciences, cleantech, and foodtech companies that are members of NSIV. He/She will engage with a variety of stakeholders including universities, companies, service providers, and investors (angels, VC’s. foundations state, federal and international government agencies) and will assist in developing partnerships, securing investment, and strengthening the NSIV community.
Reporting to the CEO, the COO/CFO is responsible for all financial and operational activities of the organization. This includes:
- With the support of a full-time Lab Manager, oversee the operation of almost 24,000 sq ft of labs, offices, kitchens and conference facilities. This includes approximately 12,000 sq ft of well-equipped biology and chemistry labs, and over $2 million of advanced lab equipment.
- Maintain accounting systems, processes and policies; establish and maintain appropriate separation of control; establish and manage short and long-term credit lines; monitor compliance and manage required annual independent audit.
- Manage all routine accounting functions including vendor selection, purchasing, bill pay, payroll, member invoicing, A/R follow-up, and routine financial forecasting and reporting to the CEO and the Board.
- In coordination with CEO, manage pricing, contract negotiations, HR policies and systems, and relationships with grant agencies, vendors, key sponsors, banks and the landlord.
- Help prepare grant budgets and applications, and ensure compliance with grant obligations with respect to completion of deliverables, invoicing and reporting.
- Support the CEO on long-term strategy, fund raising activities and day-to-day tactical issues.
- Depending on background and experience, act as a key Executive in Residence and/or Mentor to selected Member companies.
- Extensive and varied experience in operations and finance supporting growth stage organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with early stage, technology, cleantech, and or life sciences based companies.
- Non-profit experience preferred
- BS required; MBA or CPA strongly preferred.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Admin AT NSIV. Subject line should read “Application COO/CFO”. No phone calls, please.